Campion College launches 100th anniversary with increased accessibility
December 1, 2016 — Campion College has kicked off its 100 years of history by unveiling the latest changes for the future.

At a ceremony on Thursday, Dec. 1, 2016, a new entranceway, elevator and stairway were officially opened.

“As a Jesuit college, we are committed to creating a barrier-free environment for all and the completion of this project brings us much closer to that goal,” said Dr. John Meehan, SJ, president, Campion College.

On hand for the ribbon cutting ceremony were (l-r) Campion College Board of Regents Chair Sandi Ellert Day, Campion President Dr. John Meehan, student Brian Smith, Social Services Minister Tina Beaudry-Mellor and student Dale Williamson.

On hand for the ribbon cutting ceremony were (l-r) Campion College Board of Regents Chair Sandi Ellert Day, Campion President Dr. John Meehan, student Brian Smith, Social Services Minister Tina Beaudry-Mellor and student Dale Williamson. Photo: U of R Photography

These changes make Campion College safer and more accessible for all. The project included relocating the elevator and creating a new entranceway that increases accessibility for those who are physically or visually challenged. As well, renovations to the second floor included the addition of sprinklers and enhancing the library space.

These latest changes help Campion College kick off its year-long celebrations marking its 100th anniversary.

“Our vision for the next 100 years of forming people for others includes a barrier-free environment. We know there is still much more to do; our students tell us this. But this project is the first big step toward that goal,” Dr. Meehan told the guests and media who attended the unveiling.

SP-23rd

For more than 40 years Campion College was at Albert and 23rd. Photo: Campion College

The roots of Campion College can be traced to 1911, when Regina College was established by the Methodist Church. That same year the Reverend 0. E. Mathieu was appointed bishop of the new diocese of Regina, and in 1915 he was appointed the first archbishop in Regina. He wanted to establish a Catholic college in Regina to serve the educational needs of Catholic youth in Saskatchewan.

The rector of St. Boniface College, G. Fere, was contacted, and he suggested that the Jesuits come to Regina to institute a Catholic college and high school.

On December 15, 1917, by a special act of the Saskatchewan legislature, Campion College was constituted under the name of “The Catholic College of Regina” and given power “to establish, maintain and conduct at the city of Regina a college and school where students may obtain a liberal education in the arts and sciences.”

Campion College – named for the Jesuit priest and scholar, St. Edmund Campion – opened its doors in September 1918 with one priest, one scholastic, one lay brother and six students.

Enrolment quickly grew, and a fundraising drive in 1921 allowed for the purchase of property and the construction of a three-story building at Albert St. and 23rd Ave.

Campion was recognized as a junior college of the University of Saskatchewan in 1923, and in 1965 was granted federation with the Regina campus of the University of Saskatchewan. This relationship meant that students could enjoy the extensive resources of the university's campus, as well as the unique qualities and personal attention a small college could offer.

sp-1968

A new building for Campion College opened in 1968. Photo: Campion College

In 1968 a new building was opened on the university's campus.

Today, Campion College boasts 20 full-time professors, offering courses in astronomy, Catholic studies, classics, English, film studies, history, humanities, pastoral studies, philosophy, political science, psychology, religious studies, and theatre studies.

Approximately 700 students at the U of R are enrolled through Campion College in the faculties of Arts, Science, and Media, Art, and Performance. Campion College has grown to become both a recognized and respected institution of higher learning set within a Roman Catholic atmosphere.

As well as Campion College, the U of R has two other federated colleges – Luther College and First Nations University of Canada.

The unique relationship allows federated colleges and the university to offer more in union than would be possible as separate entities. Federated colleges have faculty, staff, libraries, physical plants and their own university-level programs which they have voluntarily integrated with the university through federation. Faculty are members of their respective university departments, their respective faculties and the university’s council. Courses taught by a federated college are open to all students at the University of Regina. Federated college students graduate with a designation from their own institution and a University of Regina degree or certificate.

With these latest renovations, Campion College is all set to welcome people as it celebrates its 100 years of history in 2017.

Source: [University of Regina]





Recent News

Brother Frechette died on 3 June in the palliative care unit at the Oshawa General Hospital. He was in his 87th year and had been a Jesuit for 63 years. From 1978 until a few weeks before his death he was devoted to the Jesuit school and parish in St. John’s, NL.

June 1, 2020 — Before our interview, I had beenwas told that Fr. Marc Rizzetto, SJ, was very funny, very deep, and also…very busy... Nothing I learned in the interview that I finally managed to have with him did anything to dispel these rumours.

May 27, 2020 — On Wednesday, 22 April 2020, Erik Oland, Provincial of the Jesuits of Canada, received notice that an outbreak of COVID-19 had been declared at our infirmary in Pickering, Ontario. By Monday, 27 April, five Jesuits had arrived to provide personal care and custodial support.

May 25, 2020 — What was Fr. Nicolás' impact on Canadian Jesuits and the Jesuit Province of Canada? What contributions did he offer to Jesuits around the world? We present here the testimonies of four Jesuits from Canada and an international one.

May 25, 2020 – In two of the more memorable and elegantly simple ceremonies in recent history, Terrence Prendergast, SJ, Archbishop of Ottawa-Cornwall, ordained 5 deacons and Kevin Kelly, SJ (CAN), to the priesthood.

Father Mike Murray died on 18 May, 2020 at the Ajax Pickering Hospital. He was in his 83rd year and had been a Jesuit for 63 years. He served as the first director of Anishinabe Spiritual Centre. In 2010, was appointed as President of Loyola High School in Montreal.

Father Charlie Sitter died peacefully on May 9 at René Goupil House in Pickering, ON. He was in his 94th years and was a Jesuit for 75 years. He had a passion for books and art and thus, he would serve his various communities as house librarian and artistic decorator.

view all news

Search news

Publications

CJI Mission News

CJI Mission News (Winter 2020)

Canadian Jesuits



La Villa Saint Martin

Villa Saint Martin is a healing centre founded by the Jesuits. It offers an oasis of peace to ...